E.P. Ferry originally established the lodge as single miners' lodging for men working his Woodside mine, located on "Treasure Mountain" behind the building. The first building, circa 1889, consisted of a two-story with dorm-style rooms, a kitchen shanty off the back, and an outhouse and blacksmith's barn behind. In 1898, after most of Main Street burned down, a second addition was built onto the north side of the lodge.
County Records list the passage of ownership from E.P. Ferry to S.H. Snider to David C. and Henrietta McLaughlin, to Hannah Kidder to L.B. Wight and family in 1911 when the inheritance was split six ways. L.B. Wight was a City Attorney who went on to become a Utah Supreme Court Justice, and lived here for a short time, as did his mother, Hannah Kidder.
The construction is old balloon-style wooden frame, described as "generic Victorian with western flavor." The Lodge was actually built with used lumber salvaged from the surrounding mines. The mines themselves always got "first dibs" on the new lumber. Built with square nails and dimensional lumber, electricity was added in 1912, and indoor plumbing around 1919. In the early 1920's the Lodge was changed to married miners' housing and converted into a number of tiny apartments.
From the 1930's to 1960, the Lodge remained in some form of miners' housing. Neighbors down the street, Ted and Wilma Larremore, lived here when they were first married. Wilma was born in the house uphill, next door, which was built by her grandfather in 1907.
In the 1960's, Ralph and Bonnie Brown purchased the Lodge and opened it as the first licensed, modern day "motel" (called "The Brown House") in Park City, and added a third section to the building: a living room and two bedrooms off the back. In the late 1970's the Browns retired to Salt Lake City and converted the Lodge into income apartments and a vacation home. A local KPCW radio D.J., Don Gomes, lived here for a season in his youth!
In 1983, Hugh Daniels and his partners purchased the Lodge and surrounding property, and the restoration of this wonderful place began. Named "The Old Miners' Lodge," the modern day bed and breakfast began as five guest rooms, then seven, and in 1988, after the final major restoration and addition of the fourth section of the building, as ten rooms. During the restoration the city provided grant money towards restoring the front porch area (which had been enclosed as an office space during its motel days).
After hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars, the Old Miners' Lodge is now restored to its period fullness, while adding these creature comforts: private baths, individual heating, a hot tub, etc. The guest rooms are all named after Park City mining era personalities, with pictures (when obtainable) and a written history of the individual in the room.
The innkeepers quarters were converted into two new guest rooms and a second floor guest library during the fall of 1996, for a total of 12 guest rooms. A second city grant helped fund the the restoration of the front historic steps and walls during the summer of 1997. The innkeepers now reside in a cottage on the lot next door, and have converted an existing room, in the main building, into a guest library with access to an outside back deck.
Filled with country pieces and antiques, the Lodge was the first year-round bed and breakfast inn in Park City, and one of the first ten in Utah.
We are always interested in receiving historical information about the Lodge or its previous owners; copies of photographs of the interior or exterior; and any corrections to the history by those who know better from firsthand or passed-down legends.
Susan Wynne and Liza Simpson
General Manager: Hugh Daniels
We are pleased to answer any questions you have.
Simply call us at: (435) 645-8068
or fax to: (435) 645-7420
email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
(800) 648-8068 reservations only please
The Old Miners' Lodge
615 Woodside Avenue
P.O. Box 2639
Park City, Utah 84060-2639